Weight loss diet is a combination of healthy foods and herbs that help promote metabolism, and at the same time offer other health benefits. In this article we are going to be talking about how to use turmeric for weight loss.
Turmeric does not only give a beautiful bright yellow color and flavor to your rice, curries and desserts, but it is also known for its medicinal properties that are used to manage most health conditions. In fact turmeric can help you get rid of that unwanted fat and lose weight.
Thanks to turmeric for its anti-inflammatory properties and anti-obesity potential that can help cut the bulge in a very healthy way. Studies have made us known that the active compound found in turmeric is called curcumin. This compound is attributed to the spice’s weight loss abilities.
Turmeric is known as a wonder spice which has been linked to a number of health benefits, including weight loss and cancer prevention.
Here are some amazing health benefits of drinking warm turmeric water or turmeric tea every morning on an empty stomach.
- It Promotes Weight Loss:
Drinking turmeric tea prevents fat from accumulating which has positive implications on the process of weight loss. The curcumin found in turmeric has been found to prevent accumulation of fat in the adipose tissues. There are lots of home remedies for weight loss in the market, but curcumin naturally found in turmeric makes the spice an excellent choice for slimming down naturally.
- It Improves Digestion And Metabolism: Another health benefit of drinking turmeric tea or water is that it helps to improve digestion and metabolism by enhancing the body’s ability to produce bile, which is crucial to a healthy digestive system.
- It Relieves Arthritis Symptoms: Curcumin has an anti-inflammatory properties, which helps relieve rheumatoid arthritis symptoms
- Protects The Body From Infections: Turmeric contains antiviral,antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties which makes it a natural herbal alternative to protect the body from various infections and disease including cancer.
- Keeps You Looking Young: Drinking turmeric tea can help slow down the aging process and prevent premature aging due to free radicals in the body. This is because of the presence of curcumin, which can eliminate free radicals effectively.
To know more about the healthy benefits of turmeric read more on: 16 Amazing Health Benefits Of Turmeric
Table of Content
Turmeric For Weight Loss – What Makes It An Amazing Spice For Weight Loss:
Turmeric has an anti-inflammatory properties which helps in reduction of inflammation in the body, and that is one of the factors causing obesity (Inflammation). Curcumin’s antioxidant suppresses the inflammatory condition in fat, pancreatic and muscle cells. According to research, this can help reduce high blood sugar, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and other metabolic conditions.
- According to a study conducted at Tufts University, curcumin has the ability to suppress fat tissue growth.
- Another way in which turmeric helps in weight loss is by regulating sugar levels and further preventing insulin resistance. This results in excess fat that is not retained in the body.
- Consumption of turmeric increases the bile product present in the stomach. Bile is a digestive juice that helps in emulsifying fat and metabolism.
How To Use Turmeric For Weight Loss
- One way to use turmeric for weight loss is to drink turmeric tea. What you need to do is to pour a cup or two of water into a saucepan or kettle and bring it to a boil. Once the water is boiled, add a teaspoon or half a teaspoon of turmeric to it. In case you want to add cinnamon, you could add a stick or a powder to it. Cinnamon is also very good for weight loss. Stir well and pour it in a cup and drink it warm.
- Another way is to use turmeric for weight loss is by adding it into rice, dishes, desserts and other delicacies from time to time.
- Taking turmeric milk is another option. Heat milk for about five to seven minutes on medium heat. Pour the milk into a glass and add your turmeric powder. Stir well and drink.
Have it in mind that turmeric is not a miracle spice, you will have to eat a healthy diet combined with exercises to lose weight. The same applies for all spices, herbs or any other nutritious food, even if they have been proven to be beneficial for weight loss.
Common Combination To Use With Turmeric For Weight Loss
- Turmeric With Green Smoothies:
Change your usual breakfast for a turmeric green smoothie to start your day on a nutrient-rich food. Blend together a handful of greens (spinach, vegetable) with some healthy fat (avocado, peanut butter, coconut oil, grounded flaxseed), your liquid of choice (water, coconut water, or nondairy milk), and add turmeric to taste.
- Turmeric Tea With Ginger:
Ginger is a natural appetite suppressant, which is one of the best ways to lose weight. It also helps stabilise your blood sugar level. All you need is a small pot, add water into it. Add a teaspoon of turmeric and ginger to the water and bring it to a boil. Once it gets boiled, turn off the heat and let it cool down. Drink the tea daily to see effective results.
- Turmeric With Salad Dressing:
Five minutes is all it takes to make anti-inflammatory turmeric dressing to liven up your green salads and other dishes. Put one teaspoon of turmeric to your salad cream and mix well. Spread the mixed salad cream to your salad and enjoy.
- Turmeric Tea With Mint Leaves:
Mint leaves are very low in calories and high in fibre. It also helps prevent conditions like indigestion and it stimulates digestive enzymes and turns fat into energy. You can add fresh mint leaves to your turmeric tea. This makes the tea have a minty fresh taste. Drink it warm.
- Turmeric Tea With Cinnamon Powder:
Add some cinnamon powder or a cinnamon stick to your cup of turmeric tea. Cinnamon helps in improving insulin sensitivity and is also a potent antioxidant.
- Turmeric Tea With Honey:
Add honey to your tea to give it a pleasant taste. Honey also contributes to your weight loss journey. Honey is said to suppress appetite and it also has anti-inflammatory properties which help for weight loss.
Take note that anything taken in excess is unhealthy. Do not overuse turmeric just because you want to lose weight. To see adequate results, you need a healthy diet and exercise.
How Much Turmeric Should You Take For Weight Loss?
Exclusive research has been done on turmeric when it comes to weight loss. Thus, finding an exact dosage is difficult and may vary slightly based on an individual’s ability to absorb curcumin properly.
Curcumin is safe and tolerable up to 8,000mg per day, for a short period, without any treatment-related toxicity. However, that is considered extremely high dosage and not financially reasonable for an average user. Other studies/researchers have used as little as 200 mg of curcumin per day with great success.
Most supplements contain a dosage of turmeric ranging between 150 to 250 mg of curcumin per serving. This range is a good starting point for your weight loss journey and is demonstrated to be safe for daily consumption.
What Are The Negative Effects Of Turmeric?
Turmeric supplements are very safe, well-tolerated, and their adverse reactions are few and far between. However, be mindful of the following potential curcumin side effects:
- Turmeric supplements may not be safe for a pregnant or nursing mom.
- Curcumin has anticoagulant properties. If you’re taking blood thinners, or if it’s just before or after surgery, it is recommend that you avoid turmeric.
- Curcumin also impacts blood sugar levels. Diabetics should consult a medical professional before taking turmeric.
Is turmeric good for weight loss? The answer is yes. Keep in mind, most of the studies involved subjects with pre-existing metabolic disorders. Curcumin does show potential for helping those individuals improve insulin sensitivity, regulate lipid metabolism, lower inflammation, and reduce adipose tissue.
With that said, we need more studies to confirm if turmeric for weight loss can help otherwise healthy individuals trim belly fat and increase their metabolism. At the very least, curcumin seems like an excellent preventative measure against the complications that may arise from metabolic disorders.
If you’re considering using a curcumin C3 complex, always consult with a certified medical professional to see if it’s right for your situation.