Before we talk about ‘How much does therapy cost in Nigeria?’, we are going to talk about what therapy is and its benefits for those who know nothing about therapy.
Meeting with a therapist to address troublesome behaviors, attitudes, feelings, relationship concerns, and/or bodily reactions is known as therapy. No matter what difficulties you may be experiencing, starting therapy may be a significant step toward being the healthiest version of yourself and leading the greatest life imaginable. You may overcome uncomfortable sensations, change self-destructive behaviors and routines, strengthen relationships, and more through counseling.
People go for therapy for a variety of reasons, despite the widespread belief that it is only for those who have been given a mental health diagnosis.
Below are some of the reasons you may want to go for a therapy session:
- To enhance your intercultural competence.
- To recover/overcome trauma.
- Get assistance during trying circumstances, such as the death of a loved one.
- You want to talk about your life and your emotional highs and lows.
- Resolve disputes.
- Having a secure environment where they can speak with someone who is not a part of their daily lives.
Benefits Of Therapy
Therapy has got lots of benefits and some of them are listed below:
- Aid in enhancing communication abilities/skills.
- Enable you to gain new perspectives on your life and teach you how to make healthier decisions.
- Create coping mechanisms to handle distress.
- Evaluation and treatment of emotional and mental problems.
- Analyze and address behavioral issues.
- Deal with relationship problems within the framework of the family system.
- Assisting in the treatment of family-impacting mental health issues (such as substance abuse, depression, or trauma).
- Getting back lost trust in someone/ something.
- Growing mutual assistance.
- Reestablishing closeness/ intimacy.
- Learning how to help one another amid adversity
- Helps in making a stronger connection.
How much therapy costs in Nigeria depend on the type of therapy you want. Below are the types of therapy sessions.
Types Of Therapy
- Behavioral therapy
- Couples therapy
- Family therapy
- Individual therapy
- Psychoanalysis and psychodynamic therapy
- Humanistic therapy
- Cognitive therapy
- Integrative or holistic therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy
- Exposure therapy
- Interpersonal therapy
- Mentalization-based therapy
- Somatic psychotherapy
- Mindfulness-based therapy
How Much Does Therapy Cost In Nigeria?
You should be informed that there aren’t many therapists in Nigeria if you wish to see one. Due to the increased demand, this may result in a rise in the cost of therapy. Yet, there are other ways to reduce the cost of visiting a therapist. Unless you wish to go to a public hospital, you should set aside between ₦20,000 to ₦50,000. Also, it’s crucial to contact a therapist before your problem gets worse because doing so will increase your expenses and your level of worry.
Therapy section can be as low as ₦5,000 depending on the hospital or state. And the price range of therapy depends on the type of therapy you are going for.
|Type of therapy||Price per session||Price for entire program|
|Addiction Therapist||₦2,000 – ₦20,000||₦70,000 – ₦500,000|
|Art Therapist||₦1,000 – ₦20,000||₦50,000 – ₦250,000|
|Child Therapist||₦3,000 – ₦25,000||₦100,000 – ₦700,000|
|Massage Therapist||₦5,000 – ₦200,000||₦100,000 – ₦1,000,000|
|Marriage and Family Therapist||₦3,000 – ₦60,000||₦100,000 – ₦800,000|
|Music Therapist||₦5,000 – ₦150,000||₦75,000 – ₦300,000|
|Physical Therapist||₦2,000 – ₦50,000||₦70,000 – ₦200,000|
|Psychotherapist||₦2,000 – ₦100,000||₦150,000 – ₦1,000,000|
|Yoga Therapist||₦2,500 – ₦50,000||₦50,000 – ₦200,000|
How to Save Money on Therapy
Maintain a relationship with a competent therapist: As therapy doesn’t offer a remedy right away, you would have to wait to finish the procedure. Shifting therapists without a good reason could raise the price of the therapy.
Take your medication: There are numerous instances where people’s health conditions deteriorate as a result of their refusal to take medication. Due to their deteriorating health, they would have to spend more money on medications.
Save on paying for transportation by not looking for therapists in Port Harcourt while you are in Lagos. In Lagos, there are undoubtedly some licensed therapists. Whichever state you are in, there are good therapists there. Avoiding paying more when you can pay less should be the goal.
Utilize a public hospital: The idea of receiving therapy at a public hospital may be intimidating. Even so, it is reasonably less expensive and will provide the same service. If you want to lower the expense of therapy, seek for public mental institutions in Nigeria.
Attend Your appointments: Therapists are paid for their time. When you arrive later than expected, you simply waste the time you paid for, not really delaying them. You ought to utilize the appointment to its fullest.
How much does therapy cost in Nigeria is what most Nigerians that are looking to go for therapy ask. The price for therapy differs depending on the type of therapy, just as listed in the above therapy.