Getting a good sleep is very important for your overall health. Every grown adult needs at least 7 to 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night, on a normal range. Yet, some people find it difficult to get enough sleep. Sleeplessness is a condition that affects millions of people worldwide. There are lots of negative health factors that are linked not having a good sleep, fortunately your night sleep can be enhanced without the use of hazardous drugs or supplements. In this article, we have listed some Nigerian food to eat at night.
Have a good amount of sleep may help reduce your risk of developing certain chronic illnesses, it keeps your brain healthy, and also boostup your immune system. However, this may not be the case because many people struggle to get enough. Sleep deficiency is becoming more prevalent by the day. Here are some Nigerian food you can eat at night to give you sound sleep and also to prevent you from adding too much fat in your tummy.
Nigerian Food To Eat At Night
1. Banana Fruit Salad:
For decades, bananas have been used as a natural sleep inducer. Just like chickpeas and oatmeal, bananas also improve the levels of serotonin and melatonin. Moreover, this tasty fruit is recognized as a normal muscle relaxant, which enables you to relieve tension and get prepared for bed in a natural, fast, and efficient way. So if you are looking at having a nice sleep, then this is a great food to eat at night.
2. Fresh Milk(Nunu) And Honey:
Nunu is a great food that is normally eaten by the Fulani people. It is so good food to eat at night because this warm or fresh milk contains an amino-acid named tryptophan (in addition to the calcium that is highly useful as well) while the honey relieves the tension in your muscles and mind. This tasty and nourishing drink acts as a natural sleeping pill making you to have a sound night rest.
Whether you fry it or you bake it, potatoes are delicious food to eat at night. Potatoes are a great source of tryptophan (sleep inducing hormone), they also retain an overall soothing impact that is useful for both your body and mind.
4. Spinach And Almond:
This dark leafy green veggie is high in magnesium, and It naturally relaxes the nerves and muscles, to calm the body and encourage good sleep. Magnesium can also help prevent leg cramps, a common cause of night time waking. In addition, spinach is a good source of calcium, that helps the brain use tryptophan to manufacture melatonin, a sleep-promoting hormone.
Research has shown that being low in calcium may make it difficult to fall asleep. Almonds on the other hand are high in magnesium, relax the muscles and promote sleep. They also supply proteins that help maintain a stable blood sugar level while one is asleep and promote sleep by switching from an alert adrenaline cycle to the rest-and-digest cycle. Spinach and almond are wonderful food to eat at night.
5. Nuts And Seeds:
Nuts and seeds has got an overload of health advantages, they do not only improve the health of your, but they are also very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which improve your mood in a natural and side-effect-free manner. They are also a great source of antioxidants as well. A small cup of almonds eaten before bedtime will help you sleep like a baby and it’s very satisfying. So yes it’s a great food to eat at night.
Oatmeal is a great food to eat at night right before bed. As a matter of fact, oatmeal can be considered a win-win situation because they not only stimulate the natural production of serotonin (a neurotransmitter that elevates mood and makes you feel happy), they are also a slower digesting food that will keep you full throughout the night. One of the reasons of poor night’s sleep is waking up in the middle of the night for a trip to the fridge or kitchen and back – this will not be the case if you consume a medium-sized bowl of oatmeal before bed.
7. Efo Riro:
This is a good food to eat at night if you still want to swallow. You can make cabbage swallow or eggplant swallow to give you the feeling of amala. You can take these cabbage swallow with your efo riro especially if you want to lose weight or maintain your weight, eating efo riro for dinner is good for your body. Make sure you add protein of your choice to it.
8. Moi Moi:
Moi moi is another healthy food you can have for dinner. Even though beans contains carbohydrates and a little protein, it is better to eat moi moi at night than eat a plate of white rice or jollof rice. You can add any protein of your choice to your moi moi and it becomes a good food to eat at night.
9. Fruit Salad:
This is the best food to eat at night. Fruit is so good to your body and general health. You can slice into a bow some fruits like banana, pineapple, cucumber, watermelon. To even enjoy it more, sprinkle groundnut into it and add milk. The taste is heavenly also healthy.
Read Also:10 Foods Rich In Calcium
Nigerian Food To Avoid Eating At Night.
There are some food you need to avoid totally at night because its too heavy and eating heavy food at night has great side effects on the body like swollen tummy, risk of high blood pressure or heart attack, indigestion, overweight etc.
1. Amala And Ewedu: These Nigerian food should be totally avoided at night. Amala and Ewedu is a dish eaten by the yoruba people of southern Nigeria. Amala is made of yam, But when it comes to late night eating, you ‘ re going to have to find a way to avoid it because it can curtail your sleep by making you urinate a lot thereby disturbing your sleep. Amala and ewedu is a delicious food, but it’s food to avoid eating at night.
2. Ewa Agoyin: This food is delicious, but it falls under the kind of food to avoid eating at night. This food is a favorite for numerous people. Ewa agoyin can give you heartburn, or an troubled stomach that may make you have problem sleeping.
3. Cola: Coke is a no no food to be avoid eating at night. Some people cannot do without their bottle of cola after dinner. Cola contains sugar and caffeine and will keep you awake. Even if you try to sleep, you may keep waking up to pee as because cola contains no nutritional value and is simply flushed out by the body. The gas in cola may keep you bulging and gassy tummy.
4. Caffeine: Coffee is also a food to avoid eating at night. Caffeine is a big stimulant, which causes an effect on the brain, that enables people to stay awake. This effect can last for up to five hours after consumption before its effects wear off. So unless you want a sleepless night, skip that cup of coffee after dinner.
5. Red Meat: Red meat is yet another food to avoid eating at night. Red meat is filled with a lot of fats and proteins and takes a long time to digest. If you eat red meat at night before bed, your body will be very busy all night long trying to digest it and it may cause uneasiness or even cramping. When you go to bed at night, your body also needs to rest, so avoid eating red meat at night before bedtime.
6. Pounded Yam: I understand you just want to crown your efforts after a long day’s work with a befitting, hefty and honourable pounded yam, the king of all meals. Pounded yam, just like any other energy-giving food, is best taken in the afternoon when you need all the energy required for your daily running around and activities.
Taking this meal late at night is not a good idea because, not only does it makes you feel heavy, it converts all the energy the food is supposed to release into the body to fats and stores them in the adipose tissue for use later, thereby making you add some more weight. When you keep adding up this weight, you put yourself at a risk of becoming overweight or obese which isn’t too good for you. So pounded yam is a definite food to avoid eating at night.
Benefits Of Having A Good Night Sleep
- Keeps the brain sharp
- Keeps you happy.
- Strengthen your immune system.
- Trims your waist
- Makes your skin look youthful
- Lowers your risk of having high blood pressure and heart disease.
Read Also:7 Healthy Foods That Are High In Vitamin D
If you add any of this Nigerian food to your night diet, it will help to increase your chances of having a good sleep. Some people find it difficult falling asleep, while some find it difficult to stay asleep. Whatever the reason may be, the health benefits of a good night’s rest are countless. With these Nigerian food to eat at night, you are sure of a good night rest.